Sascha D. Kasper

VERY disappointing

4 posts in this topic

Where to start?

I decided to buy the BT Metro template despite its relatively high price (compared other templates out there) because of how the product and the related services were presented.

Bad decision.

1. Installing the template itself did not go straight forward.
  2. Installing the quickstart package including sample data on an empty site neither.
  3. After trial and error things were installed, but not all included modules were working (e.g. BT Slideshow Pro was making problems with the picture upload).
  4. I got in touch with support and got decent help from Kien Nguyen - thanks for that. Unfortunately this was the only positive thing about the whole affair.
  5. After that I ran into a whole list of issues:

• login and registration not working
  • picture upload for bt slideshow pro
  • forms are not using recaptcha
  • template seems unusable on touch devices (ipad, surface pro, smartphone)

Note: you want to check the last one! this is really NOT how a template should work on a touch device.

I opened a support ticket on July 24, got a fast but useless reply (see attachment), spent the better part of a day on skype with the support guy and none of the issues got fixed. Best advice he could give me was to contact my hosting provider because some pictures were loading slowly.

I followed up and got no reply. Today I see that the ticket status is 'on hold'.

This is beyond ridiculous. I strongly advise NOT to buy this product. Furthermore I expect to get my money back.

Talking about support

Check the forum. 80% of the questions are answered with 'send me a superuser login and I will fix it'. Guys, this is not the idea of a forum. A tool like this lives from sharing information and solutions. If you put the solution to a reported issue there, this will make it possible for others with the same problem to find the fix without having to contact you and consequently your own workload will decrease. It works on millions of sites, why not for you?

Last item - documentation

There is documentation, it's just rather useless. It basically describes the site and template as they look like after installing the quickstart package. It does NOT include valuable information about class IDs, module suffixes, best practices etc.

So customizing the template is mostly trial and error - and I heavily recommend installing the sample package on a parallel site, so you can compare configurations.

Seems to me that bowthemes.com is good at sales and marketing, but not much else.

I eventually removed the template from my site, as I was not willing to waste even more resources there and went for an alternative product. I wish I would have done so from the beginning.

I expect bowthemes to react to this feedback. The least I would expect is an apology and money return. But seeing some other posts in this forum, I have my doubts.

I hope you can see from the time I took for writing this feedback, how deeply disappointed and annoyed I am by the whole affair. I spent the money for a promising looking template, I spent days trying to make it work and I spent nerves working with an obviously not interested support person.

post-195454-0-02206800-1375170049_thumb.

Dear Sascha D.Kasper,

Your words are totally right. Our support system may need big improvement and we really apologize for the bad experience it caused you.

About error installing and using BT Metro on your hosting, please let us a chance to find out the error and make your site run properly.

As you may know, bad communication between Bowthemes members and Bowthemes Support Team exists from a long time. The problem here is we afraid that without understanding of coding or product structure, users will ruin themselves their website, that's why we spend time for directly check customer's problems.

Now your feedback enlightened us the way to provide better support services. We engage to provide step-by-step tutorial as frequently as possible. Also, we are planning for upgrading our documentation to a new version that help every users (even beginners) can use our Joomla template. This is the main content and if you or other Bowthemes members want to add some, please drop a note.

JOOMLA TEMPLATE FIRST STEPS - this section is already in our current doc

1. System Requirement

2. T3 Framework Plug-in

3. Template Installation, Upgrade, Uninstallation

4. Quickstart Package Installation

BACK-END CONFIGURATION ( FOR TEMPLATE FILE

INSTALLATION) - this section is already in our current doc

CUSTOMIZATION TUTOR IAL ( FOR QUICK START) - New section for Joomla beginner user

1. Module position

2. Creating new look to your template

- Changing Logo, Favicon, website Title

- Changing Template Layout

- Changing Template color

- Changing Template Background

- Changing Menu Styles

- Changing template Typography, Font-style

- Changing Module Styles

3. Changing content

- Add a menu item

- Add an article

4. Customize header area (search, login, social media button)

5. Customize main Slideshow area (change image, speed)

6. Customize left modules (accordion menu…)

7. Customize right modules (facebook like box…)

8. Customize footer area (copyright…)

9. Front-End user tools (color chooser…)

10. SEO tips

11. K2, Jomsocial, VirtueMart, Jomshopping

12. More customization

13. Module update

14. Multi lingual

15. RTL version

We can't thank you enough for your feedback and can't ashamed enough of bad customer services,

Irene

(on behalf of Bowthemes Team)

Dear Irene,

thank you for your reply. I am happy to see that you intend to rectify the situation and provide better services. As you know, I am also in touch with one of your colleagues. We agreed on a plan to make the site work within a reasonable timeframe - or cancel the whole thing, if it does not.

I understand the challenges of support after spending the better part of the past 20 years with setting up and optimizing all kinds of organizations including multinational support teams. So I am very much aware of the challenges you are facing.

I also know that whatever the challenges are, one cannot afford to make customers suffer.

I will work with Pham on the site and will post the results here, of course.

Best,

Sascha