Robert Rama

JomSocial as Frontpage

9 posts in this topic

First off, just getting my hands dirty with this template and so far I am very impressed. I'm very new to Joomla but have already gone through a number of templates (free and paid) and this is significantly more polished - even compared to those that cost the same.

I'm aiming to have JomSocial be the frontpage of my site. I've installed and set JomSocial as Home in the Menu Items:

1) Can I get the background-slideshow to be smaller / truncated like it is on all non-home pages before? I was actually happy to see the full slideshow image on the home JomSocial page but I noticed it remained full on every other JomSocial page.

Full Image:

post-205427-0-70181400-1375747644_thumb.

Truncated Image:

post-205427-0-65352300-1375747666_thumb.

2) Although the site is mostly social network, I will have an articles section as well divided into 3-4 categories. I really like the bt_tab menu on the stock home page:

post-205427-0-45310400-1375747704_thumb.

I was hoping to incorporate that one module into the JomSocial homepage either right below the JomSocial toolbar if logged in ...

post-205427-0-65352300-1375747666_thumb.

Or below the Join Us block if not logged in (or in both cases, just above the Recent Activities ...

post-205427-0-00915900-1375747689_thumb.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you for bearing with my limited knowledge of Joomla.

Hi,

1 Background slideshow can be small, download file: default-content-left.zip, extract and replace it in: ....\templates\bt_travel\tpls (you should backup old file, then copy new file)

use:

you may use position: "background-slideshow-home" for background slideshow module (as in home page)

position: "background-slideshow" for smaller background slideshow module (as non-home page)

but do not put 2 module on same page, such as:

if module: "background-slideshow" is enable in home page, "background-slideshow-home" must be disable in home page

I still keep position: "background-slideshow-home" for you have more option, when you want to display slideshow bigger, if you want to use smaller slideshow (as non-home page), you only use position: "background-slideshow" that is enough.

2. Add module on position in jomsocial page, please download bowthemes.zip

then extract and replace them in: ...\components\com_community\templates\bowthemes

use: you may use position: "module_include"

and style of this module, you have to do by yourself.

bowthemes.zip

default-content-left.zip

Robert Rama likes this

Thank you Kien!!!!

I was able to move the big slideshow to the JomSocial front page. I am posting these step by step instructions as much for the benefit of others as for my own future reference. Please let me know if I've done anything improper. I know sometimes it only looks like the modification worked but there might be something wrong ...

a) I replaced the default-content-left.php file in bt_travel\tps with the one you provided. After doing so I noticed all pages now had the small slideshow.

b.) I went into module BT Background SlideShow which appears to be the big slideshow. The position is confirmed as background-slideshow-home.

c) Scrolling down to the Menu Assignment section, I noticed the Module Assignment was set to On All Pages. I set it to Only on the pages selected and clicked on JomSocial in the Main Menu tab.

d) Now to module Background slideshow content which appears to be the small slideshow. The position is confirmed as background-slideshow.

e) Back to the Menu Assignment section, again the Module Assignment was set to On All Pages. I set it to Open only on the pages selected and deselected JomSocial in the Main Menu tab.

Done.

[Was hoping to post screenshots but didn't have enough room even tried doing 2 separate posts]

Kien, out of curiosity, what changes were in that default-content-left.php file? Also, would I need to repeat this process if i were to upgrade my JomSocial installation?

Will be tackling the second modification next. Thanks again so much for your help.

Kien, actually I'm seeing an issue with the background slideshow. It is indeed showing the full version on the JomSocial front page ... but it is still showing the full version on any other JomSocial page. I was hoping to have the small version on any other page within JomSocial (for example, profile, groups, events, etc.) I can confirm that the JomSocial toolbar tab in Menu Assignment is all unchecked. The only assignment checked is JomSocial under the Main Menu tab.

I also took a stab at moving the news module (BT Tab) from the homepage to the JomSocial frontpage. Steps were:

1) Replaced frontpage.index.php and toolbar.index.php in the bowthemes director of components.

2) In the Module Manager, I opened the BT Tab module

3) I set the Position to module_include; note that this position was not in the list of selectable positions

4) In Menu Assignment, I set the Module Assignment to Only on the pages selecetd and selected JomSocial under Main Menu; again I can confirm that JomSocial toolbar tab in Menu Assignment is all unchecked

The issue I am running into here is that BT Tab shows up twice on the JomSocial frontpage stacked right on top of each other.

Another issue the same as with the background slideshow. It is showing up on all JomSocial pages not just the frontpage.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I just noticed something - the doubled up BT Tab on the JomSocial front page only shows doubled up if the login module is inactive (i.e., the user is logged in). The front page for a guest user (i.e., the login module is active) shows only one BT Tab module as it should be. So perhaps a conflict with the JomSocial login module?

Hi,

i changed and replied you via email, please check your inbox.

and I want to tell you that this request is custom,

if you have any difficulty when build your site as demo, I'll help you, but when you want to custom template as you want, you have to use our custom service if you need my help.

Robert Rama likes this

Thank you Kien, I understand what you mean about these should be custom job that I need to pay extra for (I assume that is what you were inferring). And for your help with it, I really appreciate it. Thanks again.